[Tails-testers] Some criticism about the 2.0 beta

Author: Spencer
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] Some criticism about the 2.0 beta
Hi,

> intrigeri:
> If there were specific,
> actionable bug reports to be found later on, then I would appreciate
> if someone extracted them for me. Thanks!

Mostly usability stuff, hence my questions for more information.

However, there are some that might be. You can decide what to address
:)

• Booting time to use the internet feels longer than before and than
expected:

[Tails 2.0 takes >5 min to finally be ready for work on my 8yr old
computer...Yeah, similar for me...With how long it takes to boot I was
expecting an in-flight movie]

• Alternatives to GNOME as a desktop:

[options should be KDE 5, GNOME 3 and some tiling wm, i3 would be pretty
good choice imo. MATE would be a better option too]

• Keyboard rendering issues (maybe, needs reproduced):

[The on-screen keyboard It refuses to even display a fraction of the
bottom key row unless it's resized to like 50% of the screen. I really
thought they had cut the space bar out for some reason.]

• Encrypted Persistent Storage permissions issue:

[can you too open the Tails persistent volume config wizard? I get told
my volume was r/o (though I can write to it)...i got told it's read-only
too, i don't think i mounted it as such...I don't have a PV configured
but the prompt to configure one showed up...so we found a bug...After
about 30 seconds]

• Tool tips on hover/mouse-over:

[I've clicked on about 50 icons where I had no idea what it would do and
there was no mouseover text either...yeah that's annoying]

• Gedit:

[I like how Gedit's default open dialogue is just a search prompt,
instead of a file listing. click the "open" button. Older versions would
bring up directories. This one is just a search prompt, and you have to
click "other documents" to get the directories]

• Default launch application:

[if you double-click on a *.txt file: Does it open in gedit or traverso
on your system?...It opens in gedit. Are you in a root nautilus?...That
causes them to open in traverso....nautilus as amnesia...Well that's
definitely a bug then]

Wordlife,
Spencer