[Tails-testers] Some criticism about the 2.0 beta

Author: Yui Hirasawa
To: tails-testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] Some criticism about the 2.0 beta
> But the world needs cube transitions :)

Nope.

> Why else?

Why else what?

> Will you expand on this, usability-wise?

It takes a long time to drag the mouse from the corner to another when
all you have is the nipple.

> Or a list of options and their flags in the documentation instead.
> More options dialogs will complicate the already complex experience.
> Though, depending on the other options, it could probably all be one
> dialog, since we're already out of the "regular folk" flow at this
> point.

The experience isn't complex at all. Also a big portion of the userbase
will never touch the documentation and thus will never find out about
i2p. Having it under <advanced> menu in the grub is imo the best
solution.

> >> chat log: everything being hidden behind a menu is horrible for
> >> usability...like the wifi...and workspaces
>
> Dropdown menus are no fun but once things are set up there is a magic
> omnibutton that is interesting :)

What is a magic omnibutton?

I'll answer to the sections from the chat that I feel like I can answer.

> >> GNOME 3 sucks ass
>
> Why? Feel free to point.

Performs horribly on older hardware and is only targets the newbies, so
the powerusers who would like to use Tails have to set up their own
environments instead.

> It is also supposed to be maintainable :)

There are easier things to maintain than the goliath that is GNOME.

> >> i3, MATE, Xfce...would be a better option
>
> Why are these better?

All of them perform a lot better on older hardware. In addition i3 is a
tiling window manager and a lot better for the more experienced user who
hates using a mouse, or doesn't have one.