Re: [Tails-dev] Installation Assistant (+ ISO Verification …

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Installation Assistant (+ ISO Verification Extension + Tails Install in Debian): release schedule
Giorgio Maone:
> thank you for your time filing those tickets :)
>
> Unfortunately I can't look at them closely until Monday because I'm
> traveling, so please forgive me if the answers to my questions below
> could be easily found by examining their details.

I don't think that there is any new information in these tickets,
outside from what we already discussed on the list.

>> - A beta release in time for 1.8 (December 15). The assistant would be
>> advertised in the release notes, maybe tweet about it and send a mail to
>> tails-testers. That's tracked by #8590 and subtasks.
>
> I will certainly try, but I'm not sure I can fix all those issues by
> then because I'm gonna attend Mozilla's December work-week in Orlando
> (AKA "Mozlando"), from 7 to 12, and I'm pretty sure I won't own the
> golden share on my time, there.

Ok, so we'll try to react quickly this week (before the 7) if you have
questions or are blocked. Then we'll leave you alone from the 7th to the
12th.

> However, if you set some kind of priority on them, I'll start from the
> highest attempting to fix as much as possible, always aiming for the
> full package of course.

Ok, so I set elevated prio on:

- #10686: Network disconnection shouldn't make download fail in DAVE
- #10678: Prevent DAVE from reloading the page every 10s

And lowered prio on:

- #10685: Change in IDF should reset DAVE (← needs a confirmation)

>> - A final release in time for or before (January 26). The assistant
>> would then replace the current installation instructions and be linked
>> from the current "Download" button on the website (renamed "Install").
>> That's tracked by #8592 and subtasks.
>
> That's definitely feasible.
>
>> So by December 15 we would need to have:
>>
>> - The Debian and Ubuntu packages ready in backports and PPA. So we can
>> do the beta with the final instructions for them.
>
> What does it mean from a logistics standpoint for me? Do I just need to
> commit my fixes to my repository and set the "Ready for QA" flag on the
> bugs, ir is there some further step I need to take for the things going
> in there place for your release, and what the actual deadlines?

Just to clarify, my bullet point referred to the work on Tails Installer
done with intrigeri and u, so there's no implication for you I think.

But yes, once you committed a fix in your repo you should mark your
tickets as "Ready for QA" and assigned to me (or tchou).

Regarding the deadline, as none of our work goes into the actual ISO
image, our deadline is only to be ready when 1.5 is announced. That's on
Tuesday 15 late CET. I think that our work should be done on Monday 14
so I can have some time on Tuesday to integrate everything on the
website, make sure everything works as expected, write the release
notes, etc.

>> - A version of the extension uploaded to addons.mozilla.org so we can
>> point to it instead of maone.net.
>
> That can be done, with the aforementioned caveat.

Regarding your schedule, when would you do the process to upload to AMO?
Before the 7? Between the 7 and the 12?