[Hackmeeting] di TextSecure e TextLibre e Moxie rafaniello

Author: gin(e)
To: hackmeeting
Subject: [Hackmeeting] di TextSecure e TextLibre e Moxie rafaniello
A me TS non piace molto, ho capito la scelta di MM di droppare il
supporto per gli SMS ma la ritengo sbagliata, continuo a non capire
perchè non posso più scaricare TextSecure da F-Droid, perchè devo usare
le Gapps e nemmeno perchè devo usare un server di WhisperSystem.

In altri credo non l'abbiano capito e c'è stato un fork che implementa
la comunicazione tramite websocket. MM ha chiuso sul forum le
discussioni a riguardo queste problematiche e ha minacciato azioni
legali. Di qui nasce TextLibre.

Di seguito gli appunti sul paccheto, maggiori info qua[1]:

Why have TextSecure and RedPhone been renamed?

Moxie Marlinspike apparently doesn't like the idea of independent builds
of TextSecure and RedPhone so much, that he started with legal threats
on Twitter. Independent builds of TextSecure have been therefore renamed
to TextLibre and RedPhone to PhoneLibre. Application IDs are still the
same, so you will not loose data after upgrade.
Motivation

My primary motivation for creating this repository has been the absence
of TextSecure private messenger from the official F-Droid repository.
TextSecure has already been included in F-Droid for a brief time in the
past, but Moxie Marlinspike (author of TextSecure) didn't like this and
demanded it to be removed. TextSecure is Free Software (licensed under
GPL), so F-Droid maintainers didn't have to remove it, but nevertheless
they did.

There has been big discussion about it (issue #127), but simply told,
Moxie is not open to arguments and wants TextSecure to be distributed
only via Google Play. He already locked this discussion. This is
unacceptable for me, because applications installed from Google Play can
be silently updated without user knowing about it, e.g. to version with
hidden backdoor.

TextSecure still needs Google Play Services (because it uses Google
Cloud Messaging), but you don't need Google Account and Google Play
cannot silently update app that has been installed outside of Google
Play store. Hopefully in the future, it will be possible to use official
TextSecure client without Google Play Services (see issue #1000 -
Websocket support, unfortunately Moxie also locked this discussion).

For now there is unofficial TextSecure fork by JavaJens, which already
uses WebSocket instead of GCM and therefore doesn't need Google Play
Services. You can install it from my experimental F-Droid repository.

[1] https://fdroid.eutopia.cz/