Re: [Tails-dev] Suggestion: GUI replacement for nautilus-wip…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, gustavo, twzgerald
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Suggestion: GUI replacement for nautilus-wipe.
Gustavo Nascimento:
> Greetings,
>
> Congratulations for the excellent work on Tails.

Thanks!

> BTW Electrum is a great addition as a Bitcoin smart wallet.
>
> I'd like to suggest 2 simple ideas for Tails:
>
> 1) Add Gdebi as GUI package manager;

If I understand correctly, Gdebi is a graphical tool to install .deb.

Then I find your proposal complicated in terms of security as .deb
installed outside of APT are much harder to authenticate and trust.
I'm wondering whether making it easier to install packages outside of
the APT mechanism would make it too easy to install malicious packages.

For example, let's say people start sending malicious .deb packages via
email as phishing attempts. Right now you can't install them unless you
know how to use `dpkg` on the command line.

Can you think of a concrete example when this would make a real
difference on top of APT in the context of Tails?

> 2) Replace nautilus-wipe by Shredder.
>
> Shredder uses shred cmd line as base for its GUI. It's simple, efficient
> and customizable.
>
> You can see the app here: https://code.google.com/p/shredder/

I shredder in Debian already? That's a prerequisite.
See https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/#new_software

> I contacted the original author to see if there's some recent
> development activity on it. And I also suggested some litlle
> improvements like: "real time verbose" (see in real time what's been
> erased and the % done), option to add multiple files and folders, always
> visible window option and some "About" info so people can join the
> software's development.

Can you summarize what would be the advantages of Shredder over
nautilus-wipe?

> I also suggested to export it to Github in order to get more attention
> and efforts.

We don't really like Github, it's fine if people want to have a clone of
our repo there but we're more happy with our own infrastructure.