Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installati…

Author: u
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation media
Hi,

sajolida:
> u:
>> So, for now I am gonna stick with "removable device" or "Tails device".

good.

> I'm find with saying "Tails device". Then we don't have to precise
> whether it's a USB stick of SD card outside of the installation
> instructions. We can still differentiate Tails DVD explicitly.
>
> I don't like saying "removable device" only because you're not making it
> clear what are the possible options: does a DVD work here? an external
> hard disk?

DVD does actually not work from the installer ;)

So, here is a concrete proposal. So we can discuss this in context.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Inside Tails
============

Install by cloning
------------------

- Install Tails on another device (USB stick or SD card) by copying
the Tails system that you are currently using.
- The device that you install on is formatted and all data is lost.
- The encrypted persistent storage of the Tails device that you are
currently using is not copied.

Upgrade by cloning
------------------

- Upgrade another Tails device to the same version of Tails that you
are currently using.
- The encrypted persistent storage of the Tails device that you
upgrade is preserved.
- The encrypted persistent storage of the Tails device that you are
currently using is not copied.

Upgrade from ISO
----------------

- Upgrade another Tails device to the version of an ISO image.
- The encrypted persistent storage of the Tails device that you
upgrade is preserved.
- The encrypted persistent storage of the Tails device that you are
currently using is not copied.

Outside Tails
=============

To run Tails Installer you need an ISO image which can be downloaded
from our website:

https://tails.boum.org/download/

Install
-------

- Install Tails on a new device (USB stick or SD card).
- The removable device that you install on is formatted and all data
is lost.

Upgrade
-------

- Upgrade a Tails device to the version of an ISO image.
- The encrypted persistent storage of the Tails device that you
upgrade is preserved.

Cheers!
u.