Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installati…

Author: flapflap
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation media
Hi!

u:
> So, for now I am gonna stick with "removable device" or "Tails device".

I like the idea of emphasizing the "removable" property of the
media/device instead of the memory technology (flash).

As u has said, it does not matter what kind of technology is used to
store the information (be it NAND/NOR flash, FRAM, PRAM, MRAM, HDD, ..).
The device is mainly characterized by its interfaces to the computer and
to the user. The former might be USB, SDIO and SATA/PATA. The latter
might be the physical USB flash drive, a USB attached HDD, an SD Card
and a DVD drive (or even a microcontroller board speaking SDIO or a
processor executing Tails in a VM).

For the SD Card/USB stick conflict, I'd argue that many SD Card readers
are attached internally to USB of the computer, so from a computer
perspective it's still a USB attached storage medium.

On the other hand, the memory technology might be important to
distinguish single write media and multiple write media since it makes a
difference whether the persistence feature can be used.

~flapflap