Re: [Tails-l10n] signing key clarification

Author: Muri Nicanor
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] signing key clarification
hi,

On 05/25/2015 09:15 PM, intrigeri wrote:
>> i was thinking that 'removable media' was a bit more clear, but then i
>> thought about the use case and: one can also install updates from or
>> save keys to a harddisk that is integrated (not removeable) in the
>> system tails is running on.
>
> The entire point of allowing plugging removable storage media into
> that air-gapped Tails is to get stuff in/out. Internal storage is not
> useful for such purposes, for all practical use-cases I can think of.

[...]
>> maybe it gets more clear, if we also state the considerations, the
>> policy is based on?
>
> In the doc/policy itself, or as part of the current discussion?

actually, in the policy (it could set an example and it shows how much
thought goes into such policy decisions). but nonetheless i'm oke with
sajolidas commit.

i think one of the problems is: what is the 'air-gapped tails' system,
we want to get stuff in/out? does this refer to the removable device
tails is installed on or does it refer to the system, tails is running
atm? if its only the removable device, saving stuff on a harddisc isn't
so farfetched, i think.
for example: i've a debian notebook. i use this notebook to boot an air
gapped tails. i want to move some data from the air gapped tails to the
internet (e.g. a signed document). i can save that to the integrated
harddisk of the notebook and afterwards boot the debian system, connect
to the internet and publish the signed document.
is this scenario that different to using removable storage to move the
signed document to another computer?

i think i'm just missing some big security consideration... thanks for
being patient ;)

cheers,
muri