Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/start…

Author: spriver
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/startup_options.de.po
Hi,
thanks for bringing up the topic again! (:

On 05/25/2015 22:47, flapflap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sadly, I could not follow up on this review request and it is
> still unmerged.
>
> I'll try to sum up the discussion so far to get the review request
> resolved and merged, and then can do further improvements - maybe
> in combination with changes on terminology on other pages - in
> separate review requests.
>
> These are the issues I initially described: (1) When referring to
> Tails Greeter buttons on the wiki page, their labels are
> translated, while by default the Greeter is set to English with
> English labels.
>
> spriver:
>> In my opinion we should try to have a consistent German
>> translation, so we assume that the first the user is going to do
>> is to change the language (many users also change the keyboard
>> layout, so they will also change the language). Any other
>> comments on this?
>
> I now agree that we should use the translated button labels in the
> documentation. To rephrase what spriver said: If a user not
> capable of understanding/reading English, he/she will look for &
> find symbols (the flag) to change the language settings. Then the
> Greeter button labels will be shown in German and will match the
> descriptions on the translated wiki page.
>
> Therefore, the current state (translated button labels) is
> correct. Issue solved \o/

Great!

> (2) "Netzwerkkonfiguration" was changed to "Netzwerkeinstellungen"
> to match Tails Greeter. This differs from the wiki page.
>
> spriver:
>> For me "Netzwerkeinstellungen" sounds better.
>
> u:
>> I prefer "Netzwerkeinstellungen".[...]
>
> So we all agree that "Netzwerkeinstellungen" should be used :-)
> Issue solved \o/ New issue:
> doc/first_steps/startup_options/network_configuration.de.po needs
> to be updated.

Who should do this?

> (3) On the wiki (this page and others) we say "Verschleiern der
> MAC-Adresse", whereas Tails Greeter says "Manipulation der
> MAC-Adresse".
>
> spriver:
>> I like the term "Manipulation der MAC-Adresse" more because it
>> is the technical thing that is being done, we do not cover the
>> MAC-Adress, it gets changed.
>
> u:
>> Here I prefer "verschleiern" as this is much more specific than
>> "manipulieren". "Manipulieren" does not explain what this option
>> actually does.
>
> So that's the first disagreement. I think that both are valid
> points: effectively, the MAC address is actively changed and
> remains transmitted in the clear/uncovered/unhidden. On the other
> hand, it is difficult to understand the intention why we do this
> change of the MAC address (-> to be less visible/identifiable);
> from that perspective "verschleiern" seems more accurate to me
> because it makes me think of fog/clouds that makes it difficult to
> see something within. Furthermore, "Manipulation der
> MAC-Adresse" sounds unhandy and a bit unnatural to me (e.g. I doubt
> I'd use this term to describe the issue to someone in a
> conversation). Also, translations for "verschleiern" on LEO include
> "to camouflage", "to obfuscate" and "to fake".
>
> Personally, I'd vote for "verschleiern".
>
> If we agree on "verschleiern", the translation in Tails Greeter
> needs to be changed.

I overthought it. Someone told me in the last days that when a MAC
adress is changed, the hard-coded on the NIC is not getting changed,
it happens on driver level (I could not verify that, but it sounds
reasonable). So the hard-coded adress gets "verschleiert" by the
randomly generated, obfuscating adress. So we can agree on
"verschleiern" (:

> (4) The wiki uses "Verschlüsselter beständiger Speicherbereich"
> (persistent volume), while Tails Greeter uses "Beständige
> Speicherpartition"
>
> spriver:
>> I remember the discussion we had a few months ago on this term I
>> am not sure what to choose here...
>
> u:
>> I think we agreed on "Beständige Speicherpartition" recently.
>
> The discussion on terminology started in February:
> https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-l10n/2015-February/001943.htm

In the end, we all agreed on "beständiger Speicherbereich":
> spriver:
>> ACK on "beständiger Speicherbereich". I was thinking a lot about
>> the translation the past days, and I acame to the conclusion that
>> this term is really the best one.
> u:
>> I completely agree with "beständiger Speicherbereich".
> flapflap:
>> I'm fine with "beständiger Speicherbereich" as well
> muri:
>> i'm okey with that!
>
> I think that the outcome of the discussion still holds and we
> should change Tails Greeter to "Verschlüsselter beständiger
> Speicherbereich".

ACK to this.

It's really great to see a progress here (:

Cheers,

spriver