Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/start…

Author: flapflap
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/startup_options.de.po
Hi,

sadly, I could not follow up on this review request and it is still
unmerged.

I'll try to sum up the discussion so far to get the review request
resolved and merged, and then can do further improvements - maybe in
combination with changes on terminology on other pages - in separate
review requests.

These are the issues I initially described:
(1) When referring to Tails Greeter buttons on the wiki page, their
    labels are translated, while by default the Greeter is set to
    English with English labels.

    spriver:
    > In my opinion we should try to have a consistent German
    > translation, so we assume that the first the user is going to do
    > is to change the language (many users also change the keyboard
    > layout, so they will also change the language). Any other
    > comments on this?

    I now agree that we should use the translated button labels in the
    documentation.  To rephrase what spriver said:  If a user not
    capable of understanding/reading English, he/she will look for &
    find symbols (the flag) to change the language settings.  Then the
    Greeter button labels will be shown in German and will match the
    descriptions on the translated wiki page.

    Therefore, the current state (translated button labels) is correct.
    Issue solved \o/

(2) "Netzwerkkonfiguration" was changed to "Netzwerkeinstellungen" to
    match Tails Greeter.  This differs from the wiki page.

    spriver:
    > For me "Netzwerkeinstellungen" sounds better.

    u:
    > I prefer "Netzwerkeinstellungen".[...]

    So we all agree that "Netzwerkeinstellungen" should be used :-)
    Issue solved \o/
    New issue:
      doc/first_steps/startup_options/network_configuration.de.po
      needs to be updated.

(3) On the wiki (this page and others) we say "Verschleiern der
    MAC-Adresse", whereas Tails Greeter says "Manipulation der
    MAC-Adresse".

    spriver:
    > I like the term "Manipulation der MAC-Adresse" more because it is
    > the technical thing that is being done, we do not cover the
    > MAC-Adress, it gets changed.

    u:
    > Here I prefer "verschleiern" as this is much more specific than
    > "manipulieren". "Manipulieren" does not explain what this option
    > actually does.

    So that's the first disagreement.  I think that both are valid
    points:  effectively, the MAC address is actively changed and
    remains transmitted in the clear/uncovered/unhidden.  On the other
    hand, it is difficult to understand the intention why we do this
    change of the MAC address (-> to be less visible/identifiable); from
    that perspective "verschleiern" seems more accurate to me because it
    makes me think of fog/clouds that makes it difficult to see
    something within.  Furthermore, "Manipulation der MAC-Adresse"
    sounds unhandy and a bit unnatural to me (e.g. I doubt I'd use this
    term to describe the issue to someone in a conversation).  Also,
    translations for "verschleiern" on LEO include "to camouflage", "to
    obfuscate" and "to fake".

    Personally, I'd vote for "verschleiern".

    If we agree on "verschleiern", the translation in Tails Greeter
    needs to be changed.

(4) The wiki uses "Verschlüsselter beständiger Speicherbereich"
    (persistent volume), while Tails Greeter uses "Beständige
    Speicherpartition"

    spriver:
    > I remember the discussion we had a few months ago on this term  I
    > am not sure what to choose here...

    u:
    > I think we agreed on "Beständige Speicherpartition" recently.

    The discussion on terminology started in February:
     https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-l10n/2015-February/001943.html
    In the end, we all agreed on "beständiger Speicherbereich":
    spriver:
    > ACK on "beständiger Speicherbereich". I was thinking a lot about
    > the translation the past days, and I acame to the conclusion that
    > this term  is really the best one.
    u:
    > I completely agree with "beständiger Speicherbereich".
    flapflap:
    > I'm fine with "beständiger Speicherbereich" as well
    muri:
    > i'm okey with that!

    I think that the outcome of the discussion still holds and we should
    change Tails Greeter to "Verschlüsselter beständiger
    Speicherbereich".

Cheers :-)
~flapflap