Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/start…

Author: spriver
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/startup_options.de.po
Hi,

> Most changes are harmless but some are a bit tricky: - while
> describing the Tails Greeter dialogs, we translate the Text on the
> buttons, which at that point in the boot process, are still in
> English: so we have the dilemma to either say the displayed
> (English) name of the button, or to translate it as if the language
> in Tails Greeter was already changed to German.

In my opinion we should try to have a consistent German translation,
so we assume that the first the user is going to do is to change the
language (many users also change the keyboard layout, so they will
also change the language). Any other comments on this?
> I don't have an answer to this and left them translated. - Then I
> also changed "Netzwerkkonfiguration" to "Netzwerkeinstellungen"
> because that is the term used in Tails Greeter. On the other hand,
> the referenced wiki page uses "Netzwerkkonfiguration" as its
> title.

For me "Netzwerkeinstellungen" sounds better.
> So we are either inconsistent with Tails Greeter or the wiki... -
> Similarly, we currently say "Verschleiern der MAC-Adresse"
> (consistent with the wiki) whereas Tails Greeter uses
> "Manipulation der MAC-Adresse" (from transifex)

I like the term "Manipulation der MAC-Adresse" more because it is the
technical thing that is being done, we do not cover the MAC-Adress, it
gets changed.
> - The same goes for "Verschlüsselter beständiger Speicherbereich"
> that we use here and in the wiki and "Beständige
> Speicherpartition" in Tails Greeter.

I remember the discussion we had a few months ago on this term ;) I am
not sure what to choose here...

I think that in general we should agree on a consistent translation
between the wiki and the software. So either we change the strings in
Tails itself or on the wiki...? Comments welcome! (:

Cheers!

spriver