Re: [Tails-dev] Would Like to Get Involved & Contribute

Author: sajolida
To: tails-dev, okgoogle
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Would Like to Get Involved & Contribute
okgoogle@???:
> Hello, I am a new Tails user and am amazed - big congrats to you all on
> what's been accomplished so far.

Thanks for the nice words.

> I'm interested in getting involved and have a background in frontend web
> development, online marketing (seo, sem, smm, content and email), user
> acquistion, transifex translation management and ui/ux (emphasis on landing
> page design/development and conversion rate optimization).

All of this sounds really interesting. Thanks a lot for joining in!
Seeing your skills, I think that the most suitable mailing lists for be
to be on would be tails-ux (where we discuss UX related stuff, new
interface design, wording, etc.):

In comparison tails-dev is where the discussion on code, features, etc.
happens.

Regarding translation management. We worked a few weeks ago on a set of
requirements to improve our translation infrastructure (currently if
people want to translate the website, they have to do it through Git and
emails). The requirements are here:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/translation_platform/

Since you're knowledgeable about Transifex it would be extremely useful
if you could report on the compliance of Transifex regarding those
requirements. We already have our custom programs translated on
Transifex but none of us really got deep into it and I don't think that
we've ever sat down to check Transifex against this new list of
requirements. This discussion should happen on tails-l10n instead.

https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-l10n/2015-April/002141.html

There's quite a bit of traffic related to Git pull requests on tail-l10n
that might not be of interest to you but the discussion about the
infrastructure happens there as well.

> After looking at the contribute page and Redmine, I see there is a bunch of
> stuff to potentially help out on, but thought it might be a good idea to stop
> by here and say hello and see where help might be most well received at the
> moment, based on your opinion(s).

Did you find anything of special interest to you? Regarding website and
UX, this year we are working on a new installation assistant and a
download and verification extension for browsers.

That's:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/assistant
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8580

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/extension
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7552

The main people working on that are tchou and I, and I reckon that we do
quite a bit of that off-list. But still, we try to ask for comments and
reviews on tails-ux when we think appropriate.

--
sajolida