[Tails-dev] extension specification

Author: sajolida
To: giorgio, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] extension specification
Hi Giorgio,

A few days ago we finished a wireframe of the extension that we believe
is a good start for you to work on. It might still change slightly as we
continue discussing small details of it.

See
https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/759/extension-20150430.fodg.

We also updated the blueprint with some more implementation information.

    https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/extension/

See the sections:

- Non goals
- User scenario and wireframe
- Integration in the web assistant
- Initial browser detection
- Checksum verification
- Data source

Regarding the data source, we need to know whether YAML works for you as
we already create very similar YAML files for the automatic upgrades.

Does all this sounds reasonable to you?

I think that what we need to work on together now is to specify which
HTML tools (div, class, etc.) you will need in the code of those web
pages to be able to do your stuff. Then tchou and I will start writing
the HTML code for those pages.

If that's relevant for you, note that we will most likely use bootstrap
for the CSS of those pages. So for example the progress bar would have
this markup:

    http://getbootstrap.com/components/#progress

Before you can start coding for real we'll also need a name for the
extension. We'll try to sort this out quickly, see #9295. Feel free to
comment on the latest proposals.

In all your work, it's also important to keep in mind that we'll try to
have a similar extension for Chrome at least very soon. I don't know if
you can make coding decisions that are more portable than others, but we
should do that as much as possible.

We should also try to make the code as little Tails specific as
possible. Of course it will be Tails specific as a first implementation,
but we'd like to keep the Tails specific bits at least easy to factor
out later on if other distros want to reuse our design and make it more
generic.

We also want to ask you whether you think we should have some written
contract for your work with the specifications, deadlines, conditions,
and so on. We don't usually do that when we work amongst ourselves but
if you require one we can maybe get something.

Otherwise, at least regarding the deadlines we'll have to deliver the
web assistant to Hivos by the end of the year but we'll do several
iterations before that and it would be great to have something on which
we can do user testing let's say before July. Does that sound reasonable
to you?

Ah, and we took it for granted but your code will be public, GPL, and
all from (almost) the beginning, right? Maybe we should create you a
repo on git-tails.immerda.ch.

--
sajolida