Re: [Tails-dev] #8999: Claws Mail leaks cleartext of encrypt…

Author: Adam Burns
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] #8999: Claws Mail leaks cleartext of encrypted email to the IMAP server

On 05/07/2015 03:44 PM, intrigeri wrote:
> sajolida wrote (07 May 2015 13:03:23 GMT) :
>> intrigeri:
>
>>> I would move the "Technical details" section to the end, or at least
>>> to after the "Workarounds" one. Most users won't care, and it's
>>> largely duplicating information that's in the introduction already.
>
>> Yes, when I first wrote it the introduction was not as good as it is
>> right now.
>
>> So I won't put a link on "workaround section" as it would jump to the
>> section that's right below and most likely already visible. I personally
>> don't like so much when I jump around a page for little reason.
>
> Absolutely.
>
>> What about "When sending an email from an IMAP account" then? It's a bit
>> less convoluted?
>
> Great.

>>> I find it confusing to see this section (that is only about cleaning
>>> up *past* leaks, right?) mixed with other ones that are about
>>> preventing *future* leaks. So either clarify what's the expected
>>> result of this action (and what it is _not_), or expand it a little
>>> bit to cover future leaks, e.g. by pointing to the next sections.
>>>
>>> Also, this section is meant to be followed in all cases, regardless of
>>> the strategy chosen below, right? I think this should be made clearer,
>>> otherwise some users may erroneously believe that they have to pick
>>> among 4 options, one being "Delete drafts".
>
>> I tried to improve on this.
>
> Good.

>>> I don't know why it would be better. I think I'd simply remove this
>>> 2nd option.
>
>> I remove the "better". I'll keep this as an option because it's what I
>> would do myself: as Claws Mail is known to do fishy stuff with my draft
>> folder, I would go to the web mail to check what's actually in there.
>
> OK... I see your level of distrust wrt. Claws Mail has reached "I
> don't believe it properly shows me the content of a remote IMAP
> folder". I can emphatize with this feeling, especially after all the
> work you've put into it. Still, I'm not aware of actual facts that
> back up this feeling enough to justify making this doc longer than it
> needs. Anyway, I'll stop insisting now, no big deal, I can totally
> live with the current situation :)

>> [...]
>> I also end up with *three* of each folder on my
>> screen when doing that on Riseup (see screenshot for both
>> tails@??? and tails-dev@???) but only two on pimienta.org.
>> Maybe there's something wrong on Riseup.
>
> I think that's the result of a email client misconfiguration wrt.
> remote IMAP folders prefixing, that lead to create duplicate folders
> remotely. Perhaps that's been done in the past by another of us,
> perhaps you did it yourself when trying out all possible kinds of
> Claws Mail configuration. Some clients guess what's the remote folder
> name prefix (e.g. 'INBOX.') and hide it, some other clients don't try
> to be that clever.
>
>> But now I removed it.

> [...]

Agreed, great job. And covers almost all my thoughts.

At the risk of lengthening the advisory, is it worth explicitly pointing
out:

    - the context of plain-text copies. (It's obvious but) Note that
destined-to-be encrypted email replies often reveal quoted previous
messages in the thread.

    - the timing of plain-text copies existing on the server, usually
momentarily for Queue, and for Draft auto-saving, until the draft email
is explicitly sent or deleted.

Glad to see this go out. Will it be posted prominently (front page or?).

The reason I ask is I believe people must be informed about this to take
appropriate action if required.

And I think it will add a lot to the Tails rep to see it widely read and
understood (if not prompt the Claws team into action! :/ ).

Shine,

Adam.

--
Adam Burns

+49 1704552266 (DE)

XMPP: adam.burns@???
51D2 CACB 3604 00E3 05D7 9AE0 E4C7 6DBF E283 909C
GPG Server: keys.gnupg.net