Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: persistenc…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: persistence
spencerone@???:
>> sajolida:
>> We felt that "persistent storage" was not clear enough and required
>> more explanation when first introduced.
>
> 'Persistence' is quite esoteric in this context. 'Storage' or
> 'Encrypted Storage' is more clear. Prefacing 'Volume' with 'Storage' or
> 'Encrypted Storage' works, but then 'Volume' is a bit esoteric as well.

I like "storage" and in the context of Tails I find it much more
meaningful and less esoteric than "volume".

I think that when we first decided on using the term "persistent volume"
we did so because we thought that it was incorrect to say "persistent
storage" without adding "persistent storage device" or something behind it.

But http://www.thefreedictionary.com/storage says that storage is "a
space for storing goods" and give as example "virtual storage",
"computer storage". So this should work and I'm all for it.

>> But the terms "persistent volume" and "persistence" are used in many
>> many places in both our documentation and our software. So I'd like to
>> be careful and be at least backward compatible. We can't change it all
>> at once.
>
> My attitude towards changing things is:
>
> (•_•)

> (⌐■_■)
>
> Deal with it.

I'm glad it's yours and I hope to be myself always flexible to change :)

--
sajolida