Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: different …

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: different kinds of Tails
Lunar:
> u:
>>> Yes, having the installer live outside of Tails, eliminating the second
>>> device, would be nice.

>>> Both 'Temporary Tails' and 'pre-Tails' make sense. 'Almost Tails',
>>> Not-quite-yet Tails', and 'Baby Tails' come to mind, and are quite fun,
>>> but are not too useful in communicating the level.
>>
>> I don't like "pre-Tails" very much, I find it too a technical kind of term.
>
> Mh… Ok, here's a crazy idea that popped up in my head while reading your
> comments.
>
> How about detecting that the system is running in that situation
> (USB stick without what's needed for upgrades or persistent storage) and
> in that case, instead of showing the greeter, show the installer?
>
> In that case, the “alpha” Tails could be named “Tails installation
> media” or something like that. It can no longer be mistaken for a
> usable system.

I like the fact that it can not longer be mistaken for a usable system
very much.

But this indeed requires quite a bit of work that we have no volunteers
for, so I'll keep this idea in mind as an aspect of #8864. Thanks for
phrasing that.

Regarding blocking everything else than Tails Installer, note that this
might be problematic on the hardware that can't boot Tails from USB if
installed by Tails Installer (quite a few Mac models if I'm right).

--
sajolida