Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: different …

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: different kinds of Tails
sajolida:
> u:
>> spencerone@???:
>>> 'Tails w/ Storage' vs 'Tails w/ Persistence' seems most universally
>>> comprehendable. Seeing that this is the same level as 'B.', adding "w/
>>> Storage" to "Tails" seems appropriate. Otherwise, 'Maximum Tails' seems
>>> fitting, though isn't very proper.
>>
>> I would say that Tails without persistence is not less than
>> "full-feature". It depends on the use case what full and minimal /
>> simple means, no? Full feature sort of suggests that you need this to
>> have everything. So maybe we can find a term which is not quantitative
>> here and not oppose "minimal" and "full"...
>
> Thank you for commenting on this. The more I read you the more I'm
> convinced that we should use:
>
> - "Tails" for whatever flash media installed by Tails Installer (with or
> without persistence)
> - "Tails with persistence" for such a "Tails" with a persistence
> (or another term derived from "persistence", but that's another topic).
>
> We could also specify "Tails without persistence" (or similar) when needed.

Still I'm worried about something here. If we don't qualify this "Tails"
(as minimal or whatever), are the installation steps for Windows still
all-right:

We had so far:

- Windows to USB (via USB)
1. Download and verify ISO image
2. Copy ISO image to temporary Tails with UUI
3. Reboot on temporary Tails
4. Install minimal Tails

That would become:

- Windows to USB (via USB)
1. Download and verify ISO image
2. Copy ISO image to temporary Tails with UUI
3. Reboot on temporary Tails
4. Install Tails

Maybe here we could say something like "final Tails" in step 4, just to
make it clear that we're going from a "temporary Tails" to the final
device. But without using that terminology elsewhere in the doc. I think
that "final" makes it clear that this is not a permanent quality of this
device or its state but that it only defines it as part of this
installation process.

--
sajolida