Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/start…

Author: flapflap
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/startup_options.de.po
spriver:
> Hi,
>
> I translated the startup options (I used "Bootmenü" resp.
> "Bootoptionen" now).
>
> Please review:
>
> https://gitlab.com/spriver/tails
> branch: de_startup_options
> Latest commit: 43c09c79 Added hyphens

here's my review, please review:

https://gitlab.com/flapflap/tails
branch review_de_startup_options
commit 01ca0491 review

Most changes are harmless but some are a bit tricky:
- while describing the Tails Greeter dialogs, we translate the Text
on the buttons, which at that point in the boot process, are still
in English: so we have the dilemma to either say the displayed
(English) name of the button, or to translate it as if the language
in Tails Greeter was already changed to German.
I don't have an answer to this and left them translated.
- Then I also changed "Netzwerkkonfiguration" to
"Netzwerkeinstellungen" because that is the term used in Tails
Greeter. On the other hand, the referenced wiki page uses
"Netzwerkkonfiguration" as its title.
So we are either inconsistent with Tails Greeter or the wiki...
- Similarly, we currently say "Verschleiern der MAC-Adresse"
(consistent with the wiki) whereas Tails Greeter uses
"Manipulation der MAC-Adresse" (from transifex)
- The same goes for "Verschlüsselter beständiger Speicherbereich" that
we use here and in the wiki and "Beständige Speicherpartition" in
Tails Greeter.

For reference, this is the translation in Tails Greeter:
https://git-tails.immerda.ch/greeter/tree/po/de.po

Cheers,
~flapflap