Re: [Tails-l10n] (de) Translation question

Author: sajolida
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] (de) Translation question
Muri Nicanor:
> On 04/23/2015 07:22 AM, spriver wrote:
>> I am translating the page
>> wiki/src/doc/first_steps/startup_options.de.po at the moment and I do
>> not know (this is also regarding to the recently translated I2P page)
>> how to translate "boot option". I am not sure if "Bootoption" (some
>> technically unskilled people could read it as "boat-option" ;) ) is a
>> proper translation or we should use something like "Startoption".
>
> mhm, i can see your point, but in my experience people know the term
> 'booten'. from my point of view 'starten' is more like turning on than
> booting.
> also the ubuntu wiki [0] uses the term 'Bootoption'.

In the doc, we're avoiding using "boot" in general and use "start"
instead. On the page /doc/first_steps/startup_options I'm using "boot"
on purpose to differentiate the options that have to be entered from the
so called "boot menu" (which displays "Boot Tails"). I thought it made
sense to use "boot" here since it's what is displayed on the screen by
syslinux.

So I'm tempted to say that if in German it is OK to say "Bootoption",
then it relates more directly to what's on the screen.

--
sajolida