Re: [Tails-l10n] Discuss our translation infrastructure - ne…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Discuss our translation infrastructure - needs your input
u:
> sajolida:
>> u:
>>> MUST
>>> ====
>>>
>>> * integrate with Git (push and pull)
>>
>> I'm not sure about the "push". At least we don't want to have that
>> platform pushing to our main repo, but rather us pulling from it from
>> time to time. So then I'm not sure where else it should "push" stuff.
>
> I thought it'd be interesting to allow translators who use Git through
> the command line nowadays to continue to do so. And thus, we should be
> able to push new PO files to the platform as well.

I understand. Then all the translation work would be available and
reviewed through the web platform and core developers would only have to
import everything from there. That would be way less Git work for us and
looks like a SHOULD.

>>> * provide a usable easy web interface
>>>
>>> SHOULD
>>> ======
>>> * provide support for Git branches (we could also agree upon translation
>>> only master through this interface)
>>
>> What do you mean by "Git branches"? From the most crazy to the less:
>>
>> 1. Do we need to allow translators to create their own branches?
>> 2. Do we need to allow translators to work in any existing branch?
>> 3. Do we need to allow translators to work on some branches?
>>
>> I'd say 1 (MAY), 2 (MAY), 3 (MUST or SHOULD on master, devel, stable).
>
> I simply thought about the master and testing branches, not individual
> branches.

Ok, I fixed that with the insight from Lunar.

>>> * should provide checks for inconsistent translations
>>
>> What do you mean by that? Could you give me an example of inconsistency
>> that could be detected by such a machine?
>
> Missing variables, missing punctuation signs, missing line breaks...

Indeed. Add spacing errors (double spaces, extra or missing spaces
before punctuation signs, etc.). But I don't think it should try to do
any kind of "smart" linguistic analysis.

--
sajolida