[Tails-ux] Tails UX at RightsCon

Author: sajolida
To: gba, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: [Tails-ux] Tails UX at RightsCon
Hi Tails UX team, hi Gus.

One person from Tails is going to be at RightsCon [1], and we've been
suggested to get in touch with you (Gus works on UX at OpenITP) to see
if we could do some UX work there.

Please keep tails-ux@??? and gba@??? in Cc.

Most of us are really busy working on other tasks right now, and with
such a short notice, we should stick to realistic goals. So my first
question would be to know what kind of session can we expect? I can
think of:

- User feedback
- User testing
- Design session
- Reviews with experts

The most interesting for us would be to work on design or reviews, maybe
the following items could be interesting and lead to more immediate
results. Of course, those are only pointer and we would work on better
preparing the session beforehand.

#7434: Main window for Tails OpenPGP Applet used as a standalone app
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7434

Tails has a custom applet to do basic OpenPGP operations.
See https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/
But previous testing revealed that it was not always easy to
identify (it does not appear in the menus, nor mentions OpenPGP in
its interface). So we thought about adding it to the application menu
or maybe rethinking the way its advertised to the user.

#7180: Remove the right pane of WhisperBack
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7180

WhisperBack is our internal bug reporting tool. But it's main
interface has never been reviewed or analyzed by external experts and
we came to question its structure in two panes.

#7438: Design a progress indicator until Tor is ready
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7438

We would love to have a progress indicator while Tails connects to
Tor. So far we only have a notification once this succeeds. If we
want to work on this, then it might be worth having a look at our
proposals to get rid of Vidalia and write another much simpler
program to monitor the list of Tor circuits and connections. In this
effort we are considering replacing the "green onion" status
indicator of Vidalia on the desktop. That's #6842 and #9002.

Tell us what you think!

[1]: https://www.rightscon.org/

--
sajolida