Re: [Tails-dev] Connect Electrum to .onion servers

Author: BitingBird
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Connect Electrum to .onion servers
Hi,

Only add something to the roadmap if you find a volunteer to do the
work. No Tails dev has volunteered, and they all have a very heavy
wrokload as-is, so I doubt they would have time.

Open a low-priority ticket, and hopefully someone will volunteer.

I also still think that improving Electrum's doc to mention the problems
would be a good idea.

If it's a big problem and nobody is available to solve it, we might have
to remove Electrum from Tails until it is fixed.

Cheers,

BitingBird

Minoru:
> Thanks Thomas White. I also remembered one more:
> 56ckl5obj37gypcu.onion. That makes five Electrum servers that can be
> accessed by a Tor hidden service. Jurre, do you think that we could add
> this “feature” to the roadmap for Tails targeted for Tails 1.4
> [https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap#Tails_1.4]?
>

> On Sun, 8 Mar 2015 14:52:52 +0000
> Minoru <minoru@???> wrote:
>
>> Jurre,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick reply. Technically, this is more of a feature
>> than a bug. I actually emailed the Tails-bugs email address about the
>> Electrum SPV vulnerability and they said that they like to focus on
>> problems with Tails specifically, not software built on top of Tails.
>> Also, yes, I would love to help Tails. That is why I have been
>> emailing about Electrum. However, I can only contribute
>> “documentation” about how bitcoin works and propose solutions to
>> problems. Someone else would need to write the code.
>>

>> On Sun, 8 Mar 2015 14:37:10 +0000
>> Minoru <minoru@???> wrote:
>>
>>> I was able to find three Electrum servers that support Tor hidden
>>> services:
>>> electrumupzx5w5f.onion
>>> kngqe2mrt4wnpxtt.onion
>>> k33y7ns2ma65xgtr.onion
>>> I have not received a reply to my last email
>>> [https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-March/008302.html]
>>> about my proposal for a complete solution to the DoS problem using
>>> trusted Electrum servers connected by a Tor hidden service.
>>> Sajolida, do you have any updates about giving users the option to
>>> connect Electrum to .onion servers? Could we present a dialogue
>>> like the warning about Tails persistence before the client starts
>>> up?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Minoru