Re: [Tails-dev] Connect Electrum to .onion servers

Author: Minoru
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Connect Electrum to .onion servers
Could you open the ticket for me? I am a new contributor and I do not
know how this works.

I already proposed writing more documentation about the problem. Look
through my emails with the title “Electrum doc wrt. avoiding the
negative effects of DoS [was: Re: Article: Bitcoin over Tor isn't a
good idea].” I was told that I should write the documentation in the
Electrum Wiki [https://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Main_Page] which I do
not think is a good idea because this problem is specific to Tails.

I love bitcoin, but including it in Tails was premature. This
technology is revolutionary, but even the top bitcoin developers will
tell you that it is still experimental. Tor works with viewing websites
with HTTPS/SSL, but it is not designed for the bitcoin protocol.
Bitcoin is especially unsuited for Tails because using it in the most
decentralized or secure way requires a lot of persistent diskspace.
Since it is already installed, you have three options:
1. Remove Electrum from Tails. Many users have already transferred
money to their wallets in Tails. I am not sure how you would transition
away from including this software. Also, it makes Tails look bad.
2. Keep Electrum installed in “the world's most secure operating system”
with a major vulnerability. It is unlikely that there will be a simple
solution for all users anytime soon.
3. Test my solution. I understand that the developers are busy and I
wish that I could contribute more, but this option seems like the
best option to me.