Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/persi…

Author: u
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/persistence.de
Hi,

flapflap:
> sycamoreone:
>> Muri Nicanor:
>> I actually like "beständig", but it has to go together with a noun like
>> "Speicherbereich". As u said in [1]: "they always get translated very
>> differently by different people".
>>
>> So, anybody any objections against using "permanenter Datenspeicher" for
>> now?

What is important to me is that the user understands that we are really
talking about an actual disk partition.

So, for me "(Daten-)Speicherbereich", "(Daten-)Partition" or
"Datenbereich" would fit this criteria.

I'm not sure if the simple "Datenspeicher" implies that we are talking
about a reserved part on the USB stick or SD card.

However, "Datenpeicherbereich" actually would convey the idea in the
best possible way, but the word seems really long.

> I'd be ok with it but don't like it very much. What we write to the LUKS
> partition is not "permanent" because it can be changed afterwards (as
> opposed to real permanent media like DVD).
>
> What about "nichtflüchtiger Speicher" or "nichtflüchtige Partition"?
> Maybe "nichtflüchtig" is still understandable enough for non-techies.
>
> The German wikipedia article [0] also mentions "persistente[r] Speicher"
> on the "Nichtflüchtiger Datenspeicher" topic.
>
> [0] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichtfl%C3%BCchtiger_Speicher

Interesting.

I was in favour of "beständig" until now, but "nichtflüchtig" seems to
imply what we want people to understand, too. It sounds a bit technical
though, but it's possible to look it up on Wikipedia, and that's a nice
feature to have :)

On Transifex we used "beständige Speicherpartition" until now.
We should change it there if we agree on another term. I can do that.

So my favourites are, it seems:
"beständige (Daten)Speicherpartition"
"beständiger (Daten)Speicherbereich"
"nichtflüchtiger (Daten)Speicherbereich"

Cheers!
u.