Re: [Tails-dev] Grsync as backup tool for Tails

Author: orsoni@gmail.com
To: matsa
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Grsync as backup tool for Tails
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 5:46 PM, matsa <matsa@???> wrote:

> "orsoni@???" <orsoni@???> a écrit :
>
> >    - "grsync should check if enough space is available on the
> > destination before running": since grsync doesn't necessarily have
> > access to the destination directory (rsync does) there is no general
> > method of doing this. It could be done for "local" folders but it
> > would be a trick. Unless rsync provides a specific functionality that
> > I do not know of.......

> I did some more researches:
>
> rsync 3.1.0 introduces '--preallocate', do you think that's suitable?
> See https://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/src/rsync-3.1.0-NEWS

that works at file level:

"This tells the receiver to allocate each destination file to its eventual
size before writing data to the file"

and

"Without this option, larger files may not be entirely contiguous on the
filesystem, but with this option rsync will probably copy more slowly. If
the destination is not an extent-supporting filesystem (such as ext4, xfs,
NTFS, etc.), this option may have no positive effect at all."

so it won't do as a free space check.

> >    - "grsync should ask for confirmation when the option "Delete on
> > the destination" is activated": we could build a list of options that
> > need confirmation, currently none does.

> That's would be great! Do you feel like doing this?
> May I help by filling proper feature requests on Sourceforge?

yes, just consider I have very little free time :-)
the confirmation dialogs will need to have a "do not show any more"
checkbox on it, so will need the corresponding configuration item.

--
Piero Orsoni
orsoni@???