Re: [Tails-dev] Windows camouflage for Jessie/GNOME shell

Author: Alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Windows camouflage for Jessie/GNOME shell
Hi,

Please find below a blog post proposal.

Cheers

---

% Call for participation : port windows camouflage to GNOME 3.14

You are into GNOME development and want to participate to Tails? You
improve your GTK and/or GNOME Shell theming skills and want to support
users needing privacy and stealth? Consider porting Tails's "Windows
camouflage" to GNOME 3.14

# What is Windows camouflage?

Tails documentation reads "if you are using a computer in public you
may want to avoid attracting unwanted attention by changing the way
Tails looks into something that resembles Microsoft Windows 8." This is
what we call the "Windows camouflage".

# Why is it useful?

We got reports that users has been arrested while using a
privacy-enhancing distribution because their screen looked very
different from others, which raised suspicion. It's why Windows
camouflage has been added to Tails.

# What should be done?

Current Tails is based on GNOME 3.8 in "Fallback" mode. We are
currently upgrading Tails on top of the upcoming version on Debian
("Jessie") which is based on GNOME 3.14. Windows Camouflage should be
upgraded to the last version of GTK and ported from GNOME Panel to
GNOME shell. That includes GTK and GNOME Shell theming though CSS as
well as writing a custom GNOME Shell extension.

# Why do we need you?

The team currently working on Tails on the long run is very busy and
decided to focus on the core or the upgrade rather than on Windows
Camouflage. We thus decided to consider the possible lack of Windows
Camouflage as NOT blocking the initial Tails/Jessie release. However,
we would love to ship Windows camouflage and think it's a good occasion
for you to give a hand. We'll provide support to anybody volunteering
and work together on integrating the new theme to upcoming Tails/Jessie
snapshots.

# Where should you start?

Please read
https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/update_camouflage_for_jessie/, then