Re: [Tails-dev] Suggestion for added package: paperkey

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
CC: Hans-Christoph Steiner
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Suggestion for added package: paperkey
Hi,

Daniel Kraft wrote (17 Dec 2014 19:29:03 GMT) :
> I would like to suggest adding "paperkey" (as in the Debian package
> repository) to Tails. This is a tool to export the "raw" secret part of
> a GPG key, for instance, to back it up on a paper print-out.

First of all, thanks for the suggestion!

Given this tool seems to be CLI-only, and meant to be rarely used, at
first glance it doesn't seem appropriate to be installed by default,
and instead advanced users can install it themselves whenever they
need it. OTOH:

  * the "manage an offline OpenPGP key with Tails" use case would be
    improved if one could use this tool out-of-the-box, without
    needing to connect to the Internet and have APT download and
    install it;
  * the installed package takes a few dozens kB.

Now, this would fit into the use case we've been asked by the
cleanroom (Cc'd) folks to include apt-offline for. BTW, it's been
waiting for their feedback since 4 months:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7208

Hans-Christoph: it would be super useful if you told us what's the
list of additional packages cleanroom needs, that are not provided in
Tails yet. Then, we can decide whether we want to install all of them
by default, or rely on apt-offline instead. Then, I suspect we'll want
to do just the same for paperkey.