Re: [Tails-ux] Prompt before compromise

Author: Emma Peel
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Prompt before compromise
On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 21:00:45 -0800
"Peter N. Glaskowsky" <pglaskowsky@???> wrote:

> We know that persistence is useful, but it can leak information. For
> example, a machine that can automatically log into a known Wi-Fi
> network will respond when the known SSID is broadcast by an
> adversary. (Many other examples could be given here, and should
> probably be explained in some detail here:
> https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/persistence/warnings/index.en.html
> <https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/persistence/warnings/index.en.html> .)
>
> It would be interesting to design the system so that before it takes
> actions that are known to create a risk of leaking information about
> the user, the user gets a prompt. For example, add dialogs that say
> “Join known Wi-Fi network <SSID>?” or “Install apps AAA, BBB, and
> CCC?” or “Connect to printer <NAME>?”
>
> This would still be much more convenient than configuring Wi-Fi
> access (or performing other tasks) on every reboot, while allowing
> the user to maintain a higher degree of privacy than the current
> implementation of persistence does.
>
> Thoughts? Has this been previously proposed? (I don’t see this
> anywhere, but I might be missing something.)

I think this usecase (extreme control on automated connections) is
partially covered by not saving any network or printer settings on the
Persistent Volume.

I have noticed that if I:

- Save persistent network settings on Persistence configuration
- Save network details
- Deselect saving persistent network settings

The network is not connected automaticaly, BUT:

- Selecting again persistent network settings and reboot, and

Voila! my previous settings are back. I dont need to add them again.

I can see this procedure is a bit burocratic, as you need to restart
the system each time you touch your persistent settings, but also your
case is too narrow to make the rest of Tails users click all the
time, because you can directly not save this settings.