Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2.1] feature/7740-remove-t…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2.1] feature/7740-remove-truecrypt
Jacob Appelbaum:
> On 12/4/14, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
>
>> Except creating such volumes, every other thing has been possible,
>> documented and advertised to people every time they use TrueCrypt
>> since Tails 1.2 (or earlier, I don't remember):
>> https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/truecrypt/
>
> Most of your TrueCrypt users are not on the tails-dev list, I guess?
>
> I think it makes sense to remove TrueCrypt - it may also be that an
> announcement about how to use TrueCrypt and the replacement are also
> important for prominent blog entry or website update before the next
> major release.

What intrigeri wanted to say is that since 1.2, when starting TrueCrypt,
people were warned that it would be removed in 1.2.1 and pointed to that
piece of documentation explaining how to open TC volume with cryptsetup.

So people actively using TrueCrypt have been pointed to that doc and
already know how to continue using their existing volumes in 1.2.1.

I find this more elegant than hammering the blog about the end of a
"feature" that that has been deprecated for years.

--
sajolida