Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2.1] feature/7740-remove-t…

Author: Jacob Appelbaum
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2.1] feature/7740-remove-truecrypt
On 12/4/14, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jacob Appelbaum wrote (04 Dec 2014 15:04:35 GMT) :
>> I work with a number of people who use TrueCrypt - I wonder how this
>> will work for them?
>
>> They require TrueCrypt and this will probably force them to switch to
>> another platform unless they can still mount, use and create those
>> kinds of volumes in the future.
>
> Except creating such volumes, every other thing has been possible,
> documented and advertised to people every time they use TrueCrypt
> since Tails 1.2 (or earlier, I don't remember):
> https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/truecrypt/

Ok. That confirms what I had in my memory.

>> I'm late to the party and generally support pushing for the end of
>> TrueCrypt in favor of dmcrypt/LUKS. Still - I worry majorly about this
>> change as it is already a hidden option...
>
> This has been discussed on this list for ages, so raising such
> concerns only after the last step of the plan has been released,
> oh well.

Most of your TrueCrypt users are not on the tails-dev list, I guess?

I think it makes sense to remove TrueCrypt - it may also be that an
announcement about how to use TrueCrypt and the replacement are also
important for prominent blog entry or website update before the next
major release.

All the best,
Jacob