Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2.1] feature/7740-remove-t…

Author: Jacob Appelbaum
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2.1] feature/7740-remove-truecrypt
On 12/5/14, sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
> Jacob Appelbaum:
>> On 12/4/14, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
>>
>>> Except creating such volumes, every other thing has been possible,
>>> documented and advertised to people every time they use TrueCrypt
>>> since Tails 1.2 (or earlier, I don't remember):
>>> https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/truecrypt/
>>
>> Most of your TrueCrypt users are not on the tails-dev list, I guess?
>>
>> I think it makes sense to remove TrueCrypt - it may also be that an
>> announcement about how to use TrueCrypt and the replacement are also
>> important for prominent blog entry or website update before the next
>> major release.
>
> What intrigeri wanted to say is that since 1.2, when starting TrueCrypt,
> people were warned that it would be removed in 1.2.1 and pointed to that
> piece of documentation explaining how to open TC volume with cryptsetup.

OK. That makes sense - though I suspect that many will simply forget
or will not have understood.

> So people actively using TrueCrypt have been pointed to that doc and
> already know how to continue using their existing volumes in 1.2.1.
>
> I find this more elegant than hammering the blog about the end of a
> "feature" that that has been deprecated for years.

Many users that I know use Tails specifically for TrueCrypt - even if
it is considered deprecated, it is still one of the safest, easy and
contained ways to use TrueCrypt.

We'll see from support requests what happens, I think.

All the best,
Jacob