Re: [Tails-dev] I got tails running on a Mac

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] I got tails running on a Mac
Adam Privette wrote:
> Hi, this is probably something well known, however when I was looking
> for this info I couldn’t find it anywhere. I was trying to set up a
> Tails USB on my Mac and it wouldn’t work when I followed the
> instructions here- https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/input/
> <https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/input/>. What I did was I
> burned a CD of tails, which I had no problem booting on my Mac, and
> used the cloning utility to create a Tails USB from there which
> booted perfectly without even using rEFIt / rEFInd (actually when I
> used rEFInd it didn’t work). Anyway, might be useful info to include
> on the website.

Hi Adam,

The support for Tails on Mac is still a bit rough on the edge but I'm
glad to receive possible feedback like yours!

I know that the structure of the installation documentation can be
confusing sometimes but I think that the scenario that you describe is
already explained in our documentation.

The intention of the page
"https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/installation/" is to make it
clear to people that the easiest way of installing Tails (on any
computer) is to start from DVD and then clone.

The pages on "manually installing", including the one about Mac, are
provided as workaround for people who can't burn a DVD.

But maybe this was not so clear to you. If so, I'd be very interested in
understanding why. So that we can further improve our documentation.
What would you change or add to make it easier for Mac users like you?

> Thanks for your work!

Thanks for your feedback :)

--
sajolida