Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2] feature/tor-browser-4.0

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2] several browser localization fixes [Was: [review'n'merge:1.2] feature/tor-browser-4.0]
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2] feature/tor-browser-4.0
14/10/14 11:28, intrigeri wrote:
> anonym wrote (13 Oct 2014 15:53:54 GMT) :
>> Please review and merge (Git and APT) into devel and testing.
>
> Merged, congrats! Please in turn merge into the refactoring branch,
> and resolve conflicts there.
>
> However, there are still a bunch of serious unaddressed issues:
>
> * #8060 -- The default Tor Browser search engine in Russian is
> DuckDuckGo (same at least in French and German); reported 3 days ago

I've updated the bug.

> * #8036 -- Localized Startpage search plugins are not installed; the
> great "it'll be fixed once we have the localized TBB tarballs" plan
> didn't work so well; reported 5 days ago

Actually the hook works, as in the correct symlinks are created now that
the langpacks are back. However...

> * #8037 -- No more localized Wikipedia search engines; reported 5 days
> ago

I thought I had these figured out, but I've been fruitless in getting
localized search plugins to work *at all*, which has blocked progress on
them. I can see with `strace` that e.g.
`$TBB_INSTALL/distribution/searchplugins/locale/de` is being accessed,
but nothing is loaded from there, only from
`$TBB_INSTALL/browser/searchplugins`.

Any ideas?

If I cannot get this to work, I think we'll have to resort to a
workaround, possibly by something like this in the tor-browser script:

    # Set TBB_LOCALE to the one in
/var/lib/tails-user-session/browser-locale.js
    if [ ! -e "${HOME}"/.tor-browser/progile.default/searchplugins ]; then
        mkdir -p "${HOME}"/.tor-browser/profile.default/searchplugins
        cp
"${TBB_INSTALL}"/distribution/searchplugins/locale/${TBB_LOCALE}/*
"${HOME}"/.tor-browser/profile.default/searchplugins
    fi

Thoughts, if it comes to that?

> * #8092 -- 'Technical details' section empty when clicking padlock
> icon on Browser on Tails 1.2 rc; reported yesterday, reproduced

Upstream bug.

> ... and we're supposed to be building the final ISO tomorrow.
>
> If you need help, please do shout (would have been better to have
> shouted a few days ago, but oh well :)

Well, any help with getting localized search plugins to work would be
appreciated.

Cheers!