Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2] feature/5373-replace-tr…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2] feature/5373-replace-truecrypt
intrigeri wrote:
> intrigeri wrote (10 Sep 2014 21:11:14 GMT) :
>> sajolida@??? wrote (10 Sep 2014 16:54:03 GMT) :
>>> When you say that this might happen before 1.3, do you think that this
>>> is suitable for 1.2.1, a point release?
>
>> Yes. The feature/5373-replace-truecrypt..feature/7740-remove-truecrypt
>> diff seems safe to me. If the RM for 1.2.1 (anonym) agrees, then I can
>> formally retarget the removal for 1.2.1, make the warning message
>> clearer accordingly, and add a calendar entry. anonym?
>
> anonym, ping? We're blocking on an opinion of yours to potentially
> change the warning message in feature/5373-replace-truecrypt, which is
> pending for 1.2.

I anyway reviewed the documentation. See 169493d..82722e8. I put Tails
1.2.1 in there but feel free to change it for Tails 1.3. I'm still in
favor of allowing a bit more time for our users to learn that new
technique before being on their own. But 1.2.1 would work too.

I still have two little doubts regarding the text:

- You said "most standard and hidden *TrueCrypt* volumes", which volumes
wouldn't be covered by this technique? If there is any short way of
putting it or external documentation then it might be worth pointing to
it. Otherwise people who might failed will following our instructions
might think it is because of that "most".

- In step 3 I explain how to attach a file container to a loop device.
This is marked as "recommended for new users" in the TrueCrypt interface
so I thought that this was really need. But I'm doubting whether say
"*loop device*" (with the *s) instead of "device" in that step. That
would impact a bit step 4 but be somehow less confusion for people who
already know what a loop device is.

--
sajolida