Re: [Tails-dev] Remove /promote/slides from ISO image

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Remove /promote/slides from ISO image
sajolida@??? wrote (17 Sep 2014 10:20:37 GMT) :
> Ok, then what about d030f9d?

Better! :)

> But I'm not really sure about that because in your previous email you
> mentioned a "temporary" while the comment that I copied from 6bab584
> says "forever".

> Plus in commit cdbe6b3, the removable of
> usr/share/doc/tails/website/blueprint/ was moved to
> config/chroot_local-includes/usr/share/amnesia/build/mksquashfs-excludes.

> - If this fix is only temporary then it makes more sense to keep it in
> config/chroot_local-hooks/98-remove_unwanted_files. But then, for how long?

I appreciate your thoroughness on this topic.

With a build setup that e.g. caches the built website on the host
system, and copies it into some build VM, whatever clean up we're
doing on the copy in chroot hooks doesn't affect the built website on
the host. So, unless everyone of us (and especially, the RMs) manually
cleans up the cached build website they have on their host system, we
have to keep this clean-up step or SquashFS exclusion forever.
And then, the latter solution seems nicer for consistency (as we
already do it that way for the blueprints, which are exactly about the
same problem), and generally more elegant (it's declarative rather
than imperative).

> - If this needs to be permanent, then we are missing the exclusion of
> /bugs, /todo, etc. somewhere as well.

I don't think so: I think we've been shipping /bugs, /todo etc.
again since 6bab584, back when these directories were emptied, and the
corresponding index pages turned into mere pointers to Redmine.
However, you're correct we're missing one SquashFS exclusion to match
our current ikiwiki exclusion list, namely the one about the forum.

So, I've reverted the hook clean-up, added blueprints to the SquashFS
excludes list, and ditto for the forum while I was at it. Untested.
Pushed to the same branch, assigned to you (sajolida) for review :)

Please review, test and merge into devel.