Re: [Tails-ux] Feedbacks from Fiodor [ was : greeter UX: adv…

Author: sajolida
To: tails-ux, Fiodor Tonti
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Feedbacks from Fiodor [ was : greeter UX: advanced options ]
sajolida@??? wrote:
>> You may want to split your greeter process in a way that for each step the
>> user focuses on one choice using a smaller set of UI elements, currently in
>> the first screen you have:
>>
>> - Three lists
>> - Two switches
>> - Four links
>> - Three buttons
>>
>> A bit too many areas to focus your attention on.
>>
>> I'm not sure the persistency options belong in this screen.
>> I don't know Tails well enough, but if it were a classic OS it would seem
>> reasonable to ask for a password at the beginning of the process and allow
>> the user to select/deselect options in the upcoming screens instead of
>> setting per-option password fields.
>
> The dilemma here is that we want both this interface to be easy for
> newcomers and fast for experienced users.
>
> Placing myself from the point of view of an experienced user. I want to
> be able to start Tails with one screen only since I'm doing this several
> times a day. And both the localization and the persistence options are
> needed in a typical use.
>
> But still, I think we can make this screen less crowded in most scenarios:
>
> A. First of all, in a new installation for a first-time user, the
> persistence options won't appear since there is no persistence by default.

Actually, this has been proposed already, see:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/greeter_revamp_UI/#index1h3

> B. Even when there is a persistent volume, we could have first a button
> saying "Enable persistence". And if clicked only, have the password
> field and "read-only" option appear.

I drafted mockups for that in the "web/layered-persistence-config"
branch. Please review and merge.

If you're not into Git, here are the two mockups:

http://git.tails.boum.org/tails/plain/wiki/src/blueprint/greeter_revamp_UI/greeter-1st-screen-persistence-1.png?h=web/layered-persistence-config

http://git.tails.boum.org/tails/plain/wiki/src/blueprint/greeter_revamp_UI/greeter-1st-screen-persistence-2.png?h=web/layered-persistence-config

> C. We could do the same for the localization options:
>
>    - If there are no localization options saved, then show the full UI.
>    - If there are localization options saved, then only show the
>      summary of there state and a button "Change localization options"
>      to have them appear again.

This has already been drafted as well:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/greeter_revamp_UI/#index3h3

--