[Tails-dev] Jessie!

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev, alan, anonym
Subject: [Tails-dev] Jessie!
Hi,

at the summit, we have decided a timeline for getting our stuff ready
to be tested on Jessie. We're far from being there yet, and given the
Jessie freeze is on November 5th, in practice packages MUST have
reached testing by October ~25th. That gives us less than two months
to discover bugs and have them fixed and uploaded. I don't feel like
it's a lot of time.

The parent ticket that tracks what we need to do ASAP is:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7423

Below, I'll list the tasks I'm the most concerned about, because they
are blocking other things we should do way before the freeze, and then
should *really* be completed *soon*. Most of these tasks are on Alan's
and anonym's plate (Cc'd), but I guess they wouldn't mind some help:

  * #7568 - Write instructions to access the localized desktop without
    a working Greeter [alan] => ETA?

  * #7561 - Update the Greeter for Jessie [alan] => ETA?
    (note that fixing #7568 is enough to unblock some of the other
    tasks that are not listed here, but *not* enough for some others,
    e.g. the test suite update)

  * #7560 - Have Tails based on Jessie starting [anonym] => ETA?
    (blocked by #7561 [alan]; otherwise, the only remaining sub-task
    seems to be #7633 "Session fails to load in Jessie"... until we
    discover other blockers)

  * #7563 - Update the automated test suite for Jessie [anonym]
    => blocked by #7560, and in turn by #7561

  * #7564 - Test Jessie's GNOME Shell with llvmpipe on old-ish hardware
    (e.g. ThinkPad X32, ThinkPad X60) => I can't do that before early
    October, so it would be great if someone else did.

  * #7566 - Try GNOME Shell in a Jessie or sid VirtualBox VM [anonym]
    => ETA?

And here's a status update for things that are on my plate:

  * #7429 - Have seahorse-nautilus 3.10.1+ in Debian Jessie => needs
    a public statement of the maintainer, and then one of our favorite
    sponsors will review and upload the NMU

  * #7562 - Have AppArmor 2.8.95+ in Jessie: not needed, strictly
    speaking; we might have 2.8.4 instead, which will be good enough;
    I'm on it, and if Kees doesn't upload soon enough, I'll do it
    myself (I've formally become a co-maintainer).