Re: [Freepto] freepto repository and other problems

Author: boyska
To: freepto
Subject: Re: [Freepto] freepto repository and other problems
On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:27:09PM +0200, intrigeri wrote:
>boyska wrote (10 Aug 2014 09:41:59 GMT) :
>> The bigger problem: when you build freepto, you take the specified
>> freepto-lb code, plus the packages that have been built into freepto repository.
>> These are not always updated; and anyway, is difficult to understand
>> what version should be put where, since there are many packages (and
>> they will likely grow in the future!)
>
>Unsurprisingly, we have the same kind of problems for Tails:

Which, at least, means that I am not the only one to perceive such a
problem ;)

>> B) We could build packages just before building freepto itself.
>
>We want to do that for Tails at some point. There are a few existing
>solutions:

I implemented a simple draft at [1] and subsequent commit(s).

[1]
https://github.com/boyska/freepto-lb/commit/8d894b539fce17825c0ae42ecc9428c5e64c2630

>> the disadvantage is that when you update another package, you also
>> need to update the submodule inside freepto-lb.
>
>I'm told that Git submodules are a pain to deal with for merging, but
>I'd be happy to learn that it's wrong.

I don't have that much experience about submodules, but I can hardly
imagine how much of a pain can it be.

By now I am just manually copying the directory I am working on, and it
is anyway not bad: I think that it can encourage developing "features"
as packages and, when they are ready, put them inside repository.
So I think of it more as a "development tool" than a "code distribution"
thing.

--
boyska