[Freepto] freepto repository and other problems

Author: boyska
To: Everything about freepto
Subject: [Freepto] freepto repository and other problems
Background: I recently built a new image from boyska/master and tested
it. I found a bug (a typo in source code) in freepto-live-tray; I
immediately went to freepto-usb-utils code and... found it already
fixed.

The bigger problem: when you build freepto, you take the specified
freepto-lb code, plus the packages that have been built into freepto repository.
These are not always updated; and anyway, is difficult to understand
what version should be put where, since there are many packages (and
they will likely grow in the future!)

A road to solution: we need to be clearer in this respect. I'll try to
list some solutions:

A) Is every commit on every repository a new proposed version in the
development repository? If so, it should be stated clearly and, more
important, such a mechanism (continous integration blabla) need to be
working.

B) We could build packages just before building freepto itself. I mean
that we could have a pkgs/ directory where submodule are put in.
Submodules will allow us to clearly state which version is being put in.
The advantage is that it is more "distributed"; the disadvantage is that
when you update another package, you also need to update the submodule
inside freepto-lb.

Hybrid solutions are also possible. For example we could use the
submodule mechanism _optionally_, so to use it heavily in development.
When we are releasing a freepto version, we push those packages into the
"official" repository, so that the repository is coherent with us.

I'll try to write some working code to show an example of the pkgs/ thing

--
boyska