Re: [Tails-dev] OnionMail.info (tor anonymous mail) in TAILS…

Author: Frank leTanque
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] OnionMail.info (tor anonymous mail) in TAILS?
OnionMail sounds interesting; I have a couple of questions that maybe
someone could answer:

1) SSL on top of Tor, for an end to end encryption mail service. Is that
really necessary? Maybe I misunderstand how onion routing works and/or how
the encryption for OnionMail works?

2) Though messages are all stored on the server in an ambiguous manner, a
correlation attack could still be leveraged against users, correct?
Especially since the network of people using this service is very small.
Correlation attack based on size of message retrieved and the fact that it
needs to be retrieved. An early video on Tor vulnerabilities:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFY615-q6Ls
There are more recent studies. Basically, my takeaway has been that
pluggable transports through a trusted entry node is the most secure method
available.

3) How does this compare to Bitmessage? Security enthusiasts should really
look into bitmessage because they will find themselves very interested in
the concept and even the early execution. Bitmessage would have better
metadata obfuscation, correct?

*---*
TANQUE
wickr: letanque | tanque.pro | get@???

*PGPKey: *
http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x929D2552A998B662

*CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: This email message, together with all
attachments, is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain legally privileged or confidential information.
Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited, and
may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error please
contact the sender immediately and delete the transmitted material and all
copies from your system, or if received in hard copy format, return the
material to us via the United States Postal Service. Thank you. *