Re: [Tails-dev] Camouflage: left to do

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Camouflage: left to do
Hi,

anonym wrote (03 Jun 2014 13:27:40 GMT) :
> 29/05/14 19:09, Alan wrote:
>>> #7316: Fix system tray icon size in camouflage mode
> [...]
>> Do we think it is a blocker? If yes, do we accept to build a custom
>> gnome-panel package?

> Let's skip this for now. See the ticket.

If we skip this for 1.1, then this ticket should not be a subtask of
#6342, which itself is a blocker for 1.1. If the plan is to fix it
"soon, but not for 1.1", then I suggest creating a "Windows
8 camouflage, phase 2" parent ticket, with #7316 as a subtask, and
possibly others for things that really should be taken care of, but
can't be done in time for 1.1 due to time constraints.

>>> #7274: Decide if torbrowser camouflage is still needed
>>>
>>> IMHO our decision should be "yes", but only some for the basics.
>>> Low-hanging fruit.

Closed that ticket, filed #7367 ("Update web browser's Windows
camouflage for Windows 8").

>> Then we should define what we want to achieve and what "the basics" are.

> I'd rather avoid more round-trips so just pick the low-hanging fruit.

Full ACK.

>>> #7312: Include window-picker-applet

An ITP bug was filed, and Ulrike is working on this, so some concerns
of mine regarding this package are now void: as far as 1.1 is
concerned, we probably can ship whatever crappy package you want.

>>> #7327: Remove launchers in Windows 8 camouflage?
>>>
>>> And IMHO "yes we should", for the reasons stated on the ticket.
>>>
>> I think the lack of icon at startup is worse than the duplication of in
>> icon added to the worse UX. But that should be discussed.

> Let's discuss! Here's my argument:

> While the Launcher bar is shown by default in Windows 8, it is optional.
> However, the same application always "groups" extra instances into a
> single icon, so the same icon never appears more than once. So, I wonder
> why my proposal makes it worse. I can get why it's worse
> convenience-wise, but stealth (which includes avoiding impossible stuff
> like 2+ of the same icons in the panel) always trumps it in camouflage mode.

I tend to agree from a theoretical PoV, but... what branch should
I build and look at, to get a clearer idea on this topic?

(Ideally, the nightly builds from "experimental" should have the
latest proposed stuff of this work, so that more people can easily
test and provide feedback.)