Re: [Tails-dev] Camouflage: left to do [was: Please review a…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Camouflage: left to do [was: Please review and merge feature/6342-update-camouflage-for-gnome3]
29/05/14 19:09, Alan wrote:
>> I've looked at all these tickets, closed/updated them as necessary,
>> and created a few new ones. These tickets describe my vision of what
>> the theme should look like in 1.1:
>>
>> #7316: Fix system tray icon size in camouflage mode
>
> I worked on this several hours. There is a CSS property in Adwaita
> theme, but that doesn't work.
>
> I also tried to add margin and padding to basically all panel elements
> without success. I doubt this is possible with wheezy version of
> gnome-panel without patching it.

That's a shame. Thanks to look into it!

> Do we think it is a blocker? If yes, do we accept to build a custom
> gnome-panel package?

Let's skip this for now. See the ticket.

>> #7325: Fix application icons in "task list" in Windows 8 camouflage
>
> I'll investigate that.

Great!

>> #7326: Fix systray icons in Windows 8 camouflage
>
> Looks doable. Please show me the desired icons if possible.

I don't have access to the windows computer any more, but looking at
screenshots should give some ideas. The blueprint page for 'wheezy'
links to several gnome themes, and many of them have authentic windows 8
icons in the systray. You could also look at icons from the xp theme
('gnome-xp-icon-theme' in our APT repo) in the worst case.

[1] https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/Wheezy/#index1h2

>> #7328: Make clock applet font white again in Windows 8 camouflage.
>>
> Done.

Awesome! Would you mind preparing a package and upload it to the APT
suite of some fitting branch? E.g. bugfix/7328-clock-color (so
bugfix-7328-clock-color for the APT suite).

>> These four are just straight up coding tasks.
>>
>> #7277: Port camouflage to Gnome 3 panel
>>
>> This one I just don't understand. Please clarify, preferably on the
>> ticket!
>>
> Done. I think we should close this one, but let you decide.

Well, you closed it, but I agree.

>> #7274: Decide if torbrowser camouflage is still needed
>>
>> IMHO our decision should be "yes", but only some for the basics.
>> Low-hanging fruit.
>>
> Then we should define what we want to achieve and what "the basics" are.

I'd rather avoid more round-trips so just pick the low-hanging fruit.
The goal is this:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/454/real-windows-8.1.png

It's of course quite obvious it won't be possible to perfectly replicate
it without a significant time investment.

>> #7312: Include window-picker-applet
>>
>> For this one I created the following blocking ticket:
>>
>> #7327: Remove launchers in Windows 8 camouflage?
>>
>> And IMHO "yes we should", for the reasons stated on the ticket.
>>
> I think the lack of icon at startup is worse than the duplication of in
> icon added to the worse UX. But that should be discussed.

Let's discuss! Here's my argument:

While the Launcher bar is shown by default in Windows 8, it is optional.
However, the same application always "groups" extra instances into a
single icon, so the same icon never appears more than once. So, I wonder
why my proposal makes it worse. I can get why it's worse
convenience-wise, but stealth (which includes avoiding impossible stuff
like 2+ of the same icons in the panel) always trumps it in camouflage mode.

Cheers!