Re: [Tails-dev] Postponing 1.1?

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Postponing 1.1?
28/05/14 16:28, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anonym wrote (28 May 2014 10:28:29 GMT) :
>> intrigeri, would it be possible to split the 1.1 RM work, at least for
>> the period when I have other plans?
>
> Unfortunately, my own plans don't play very well with yours.

Really? What you suggest below actually sounds pretty much perfect for
my plans. Or do you mean that it interferes with other plans you had for
June/July?

> What I can do is:
>
> * June 1-15: review'n'merge things quickly, as they arrive

I'll be around during this time as well, sharing the review'n'merge work
etc. I do plan to dedicate a few days to the Icedove integration (well,
the preliminaries of it) so something is ready in time for the summit,
as we've discussed before.

>   * Around June 16, *maybe* put out a 1.1~beta2, that has gone through
>     the automated test suite, but not the manual one. If we feel it's
>     useful, and depending on other Tails deliverables I have.

Since I'm still around at this time (until and including the 18th of
June) I'm also able to prepare a 1.1~beta2.

>   * June 16 to June 25: review'n'merge things, fix a few small newly
>     discovered regressions, but with considerably less bandwidth and
>     reactivity; hopefully there's not much to do.

> Then, you take over on June 28, merge what's left (likely: only my own
> pull requests), put a RC out on July 1st, enjoy a few days off, and
> join our northern-hemisphere summer gatherings.

I won't promise anything, but it may be possible for me to take one
half-day from my hiatus for dealing with some review'n'merges of yours,
giving you more time to fix potential issues compared to if I only do so
in the last three days before the July 1st "real" freeze. If so, that
would likely be the 25th. Would this be helpful for you? If so I can try
to arrange it in the next couple of days so we'll know if it's possible
at all.

> To end with, I take over the RM hat on July 2, and keep it until 1.1
> is out on July 22.

FWIW, I'll be available again latest the 20th, since I'll be travelling
a bit after the summit. So I should at least be able to help with the
testing of the final 1.1 image.

> If we do that, developers should act as if the freeze was on June 15:
> large changes have to be *merged* by then (so, they need to be "almost
> ready" around June 10, to leave some room for additional round-trips
> that may be needed). And the 2nd half of June would be dedicated to
> fixing newly discovered regressions.
>
> Would this work for you?

Sounds great to me! I'll write a new combined release schedule for 1.0.1
and 1.1 tonight; now I need to focus on getting 1.1~beta1 ready.

Cheers!