Re: [Tails-dev] Postponing 1.1?

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Postponing 1.1?
Hi,

anonym wrote (28 May 2014 10:28:29 GMT) :
> intrigeri, would it be possible to split the 1.1 RM work, at least for
> the period when I have other plans?

Unfortunately, my own plans don't play very well with yours.

What I can do is:

* June 1-15: review'n'merge things quickly, as they arrive

  * Around June 16, *maybe* put out a 1.1~beta2, that has gone through
    the automated test suite, but not the manual one. If we feel it's
    useful, and depending on other Tails deliverables I have.

  * June 16 to June 25: review'n'merge things, fix a few small newly
    discovered regressions, but with considerably less bandwidth and
    reactivity; hopefully there's not much to do.

Then, you take over on June 28, merge what's left (likely: only my own
pull requests), put a RC out on July 1st, enjoy a few days off, and
join our northern-hemisphere summer gatherings.

To end with, I take over the RM hat on July 2, and keep it until 1.1
is out on July 22.

If we do that, developers should act as if the freeze was on June 15:
large changes have to be *merged* by then (so, they need to be "almost
ready" around June 10, to leave some room for additional round-trips
that may be needed). And the 2nd half of June would be dedicated to
fixing newly discovered regressions.

Would this work for you?

> For the record, I hadn't planned my summer with me RM:ing for a July 22
> *major* release in mind.

Actually, nobody had planned such a thing :)

> As far as I know, the original plan was that you were going to
> handle the July 22 release (right?).

Well, I wouldn't exactly call it the "plan", but that was indeed one
of the only surest things when we tried to tentatively split the RM
work for 2014 Q3 and Q4 three months ago, and as a result we got quite
a vague idea, with plenty of uncertainty and conflicting desires
and needs.