Re: [Tails-dev] Camouflage status for 1.1

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Camouflage status for 1.1
26/05/14 01:06, Alan wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> This looks like a mix of Windows 8 and 8.1:
>>
>> * the color theme is like the default in 8
>> * the background image is the default from 8
>> * the start button is only present in 8.1
>>
> Some screencasts of 8.0 seemd to have it. Perhaps is it an option?

I think there was 3rd party applets that gave similar functionality in 8
prior to 8.1.

>> * The icons for KeyPassX and GNOME terminal should be removed. There
>> are no immediate *common* applications corresponding to these.
>>
> Too bad. I find them useful. Other opinions?

Well, the point of this option is to provide stealth, and I think that
we shouldn't compromise on stealth for added convenience. If we really
feel we must keep them one alternative could be to give them completely
unrelated icons like, I don't know, the Calculator for Gnome Terminal
and Word/Office for KeyPassX.

>> * Can we remove the "separators" (or whatever those lightblue, "dotty"
>> things are calleD) on the left and right of the tasks?
>>
> Not as far as I know (of we should strongly tweak the GTK theme, which
> I don't volunteer to do).

I remember doing this for XPLuna, and that amounted to making the
corresponding image in the theme the same as a similarly sized part of
the panel (IIRC). Is it not as easy as that any more?

>> * The shutdown applet is actually quite stealthy as it is (size and
>> color), but it'd be better if it could be moved to between the
>> system tray and the clock applet. On windows the clock seems to
>> always be touching the right edge of the screen.
>>
> That's easy. I can do it but I'm afaraid it would be less accessible to
> quickly click on it. Other opinions?

Again, I'd say stealth is the priority here. Having the clock offset
from the screen edge is a very obvious deviation from the Windows look.

>> * The clock applet's text should be white.
>>
> I don't know an easy way to do that. Do you think it is a blocker?

Well, at this point not having this is better than blocking on it so we
get nothing.

Doesn't GTK3 have .gtkrc functionality? I remember such things were
customizable like that with GTK2, like:

    style "panel-clock"
    {
      fg[NORMAL] = "#FFFFFF"
      font_name = "Droid Sans 18 Bold"
    }
    widget "*.clock-applet-button.*" style "panel-clock"

(The above is shamelessly copy-pasted from:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1170307)

>> * The Vidalia icon in the system tray has a weird grey rectangle
>> beneath it. Can we remove it?
>>
> I don't know. Do you think it is a blocker?

Same the answer above (the first paragraph).

I also forgot to mention this earlier:

* The icons in the systray doesn't look like they're from Widows. Even
ignoring their huge size per my other comment, some of them really stand
out, like the black Florence icon. Ideally they should all be replaced
with similar looking (or similar in functionality perhaps) icons from
Windows.

>> Also, about the desktop: it seems the only thing there by default is
>> the Recycle Bin, so we should remove everything else, IMHO.
>>
> Hopefully that's not very difficult.

I don't know, but removing the corresponding lines below the "Desktop
Icons" section in the script looks like a start.

[...]
>> The Firefox theme FoxE9 almost gets it right (it just has a more
>> Windows 7-ish look) but it's not available for Linux for some reason.
>>
>> With some DIY we may get a long way by:
>>
>> * Disabling the menu-bar. Then we get the Iceweasel menu button to the
>> left of the address bar, which isn't good, but I see no immediate
>> way to improve this.
>>
>> * Moving the tabs to right of the address bar and removing most other
>> controls, including the search bar.
>>
>> * Using a Light Weight Theme similar to the one we use for the Unsafe
>> Web Browser but that instead of setting everything to red sets
>> everything to the same blue as in the title bar.
>>
>>> so just looking like firefox doesn't seem me that bad.
>>
>> If so, we should stop pretending it is IE completely. After all,
>> Firefox is pretty common in Windows too. But Iceweasel isn't. So this
>> would introduce of to the legal dilemmas of Firefox' non-free art
>> work; we cannot legally distribute e.g. the Firefox icon and use it
>> for our patched browser.
>>
>> Another issue with this is that many public computers probably seem to
>> use IE, so Firefox would be a strange sight if running Tails in such a
>> setting => a bad thing for the "quick look over the shoulder" test.
>>
> I don't get if you have a proposal.

Well, I give two *options*:

1. Adapt Iceweasel to look like IE10, with some pointers on how that
can be achieved.

2. Use Firefox branding, and break the law. :)

I suppose my proposal is 1, if time allows. 2 may be a bad idea since I
don't think we want to get Mozilla pissed at us.

Cheers!