Re: [Tails-dev] General Comments on Download/Installation Do…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] General Comments on Download/Installation Documents
15/05/14 06:23, John Olsen wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> I regard myself as a power windows user and program in pascal, php,
> basic, a couple variations of assembly and write MySQL stored
> procedures. Yet, I have been unable to navigate through to the point
> where I have an operating USB stick. Why? Windows is different enough
> from Linux that the Linux terminology is incomprehensible.

Acknowledged.

> ISO Image, Signature, Signing Key, Gnome, Ubuntu, Debian, sudo,
> seahorse-plugins etc. are at best only vague notions to a Windows
> user.

The first three terms are the ones that are necessary for installing
Tails, and they are OS-agnostic. We know they may be new to our users,
and therefore we link to references describing them (usually Wikipedia).

The other terms you mention are not necessary for installing Tails in
general -- they're mentioned in the path of our documentation aimed at
Linux users, not Windows users.

> Further, we don’t already have Linux running so all steps described
> for Linux are useless chatter. Yet, I think there are more windows
> users in the world than Linux and many of us would like to use Tails
> for simple things without first learning the Linux operating system.
> What is needed is a detailed step by step process for Windows users.
> Download these, plug in a blank USB stick, double click that put this
> data in the blank etc. all with screen shots.

We would be delighted if you could help us improve our documentation!
Can you please try to follow the steps from the download page again and
describe for each step what's unclear?

> Alternately, how about selling operating USB sticks delivered by mail
> for say $50.00 each?

We do not have the (wo)manpower for such an operation, and asking a
third party to do it seems irresponsible.

Cheers!