Re: [Tails-dev] [Tails-support] BlueTooth keyboard

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-dev] BlueTooth keyboard
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [Tails-support] BlueTooth keyboard
intrigeri:
>> → We could add to "System requirements" that Tails requires a USB or PS2
>> keyboard and mouse.
>
> ... or add the lack of bluetooth input devices support to known
> issues: there may be more than USB and PS/2 that work just fine.

Ok, that could work but read on.

>> Unfortunately, #5336 which is blocking #5451 has no description,
>
> I'm not sure what #5336 has to do with that. It's just one future step
> on the road to #5451, which is about implementing the general "disable
> unsafe bus unless used at boot" plan, whose main sub-ticket is #5547.
> I have just added some relationships between these sub-ticket to help
> make this clearer. There is probably some more ticket gardening that
> could be worth doing in this area.
>
>> but does that mean that until #5336 is resolved
>
> I doubt you really mean #5336 here.

I meant 5451 which is blocking 5751, sorry. But that was just a wait for
me to try to understand better the issue... I think that your answer to
the rest of my email gives me all the info I needed.

>> we want to discourage our users from using BlueTooth at all?
>
> We're effectively already discouraging them from using BlueTooth,
> since we don't ship the software stack needed to use it. So, I don't
> really get the question. Did I miss anything?

Well... so far you proposed to mention that in "known issues". I think
that if it is a choice of Tails to prevent people from using BlueTooth
input devices because it is crappy and unsafe, then this needs to appear
somewhere in the main doc since that's a deliberate "feature". And not
as an "issue", that might get fixed at some point.

> Regarding #5751, I see value in supporting BlueTooth in some cases
> (e.g. to use one's phone to provide Internet access), but I'm not sure
> that we should support BlueTooth keyboards without displaying
> a warning, advicing to plug another kind of keyboard if possible.
> This kind of hardware is not that widespread, and it is *very* unsafe.
> OTOH, we don't try to detect wireless keyboards plugged via USB, so
> I'm maybe over-engineering it.

Apparently, recent iMac comes with a BlueTooth keyboard and mouse by
default. That's what makes me think that we shouldn't consider this as a
corner case, especially once we'll have UEFI.

https://www.apple.com/imac/features/

--
sajolida