Re: [Tails-dev] [Tails-support] BlueTooth keyboard

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [Tails-support] BlueTooth keyboard
intrigeri:
> sorry for breaking the thread, I have deleted the original message,
> and this list has no archive (on purpose).

Now I'm bouncing it to tails-dev since my answer goes beyond user support :)

> I got someone to a bluetooth keyboard with Tails, and here are the
> results:
>
> * by default, the keyboard does not work
>
> * after installing gnome-bluetooth, and configuring things in going to
> System->Preferences->Bluetooth, the keyboard does work
>
> * installing gnome-bluetooth + dependencies creates a pan0 network
> device, whose MAC address is successfully spoofed
>
> I've added this info to #5751.

That means that it cannot be used in Tails Greeter. I think this
deserves to be documented somewhere. Shall we consider that the same
thing is probably true for a BlueTooth mouse?

→ We could add to "System requirements" that Tails requires a USB or PS2
keyboard and mouse.

Unfortunately, #5336 which is blocking #5451 has no description, but
does that mean that until #5336 is resolved we want to discourage our
users from using BlueTooth at all?

→ So we could also add a FAQ "Can I use a bluetooth keyboard or mouse?"
and explain there the workaround with gnome-bluetooth unless we think
that's too risky.

--
sajolida