Re: [Tails-dev] Mentioning Debian on the homepage of our web…

Author: u
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Mentioning Debian on the homepage of our website
Heya intrigeri & list,

> Hi,
>
> Facts:
>
>   * Tails owes a lot to Debian.
>   * The Debian word does not appear on our homepage.
>   * Debian is mentioned on our About page of our website, where we
>     also state that Tails is Free Software.
>   * We have a Debian swirl in the banner, that will be replaced by
>     another one based on our new logo at the end of the month.

> Lucas, acting as the current Debian Project Leader (please keep him on
> the Cc list) has suggested that we explicitly mention Debian on
> our homepage.
>
> I think it would be just fair for us to do so. As a Debian user and
> contributor, I've been annoyed for years to see the Ubuntu website not
> doing this, so I get the point: not mentioning it (while we mention
> e.g. Tor) is somewhat suggesting we're building and maintaining
> a distro from scratch, which is untrue: we're a Debian derivative.
>
> OTOH, I don't think this information is relevant for the usecase of
> people visiting our website for the first time, and reading the
> introductory text. So, I'd rather not see it added to that intro.

good that you mention that.

> How do you feel about mentioning Debian on our homepage *somehow*?

I completely agree that this is necessary! :)

> Implementation-wise, my initial idea was to add a footer with this
> information, and maybe more (e.g. the fact that Tails is Free
> Software). But our doc, web and design folks will likely have better
> ideas :)

This is a very nice idea. However, i would like it not be too small, but
rather have a little "section" about these 3:

    Tails = FOSS | based on Debian <3 | routed through Tor

the latter with their respective logos, so people can recognize them -
which will help gain trust in Tails.

cheers,
u.