[Tails-dev] Mentioning Debian on the homepage of our website

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
CC: Lucas Nussbaum
Subject: [Tails-dev] Mentioning Debian on the homepage of our website
Hi,

Facts:

  * Tails owes a lot to Debian.
  * The Debian word does not appear on our homepage.
  * Debian is mentioned on our About page of our website, where we
    also state that Tails is Free Software.
  * We have a Debian swirl in the banner, that will be replaced by
    another one based on our new logo at the end of the month.

Lucas, acting as the current Debian Project Leader (please keep him on
the Cc list) has suggested that we explicitly mention Debian on
our homepage.

I think it would be just fair for us to do so. As a Debian user and
contributor, I've been annoyed for years to see the Ubuntu website not
doing this, so I get the point: not mentioning it (while we mention
e.g. Tor) is somewhat suggesting we're building and maintaining
a distro from scratch, which is untrue: we're a Debian derivative.

OTOH, I don't think this information is relevant for the usecase of
people visiting our website for the first time, and reading the
introductory text. So, I'd rather not see it added to that intro.

How do you feel about mentioning Debian on our homepage *somehow*?

Implementation-wise, my initial idea was to add a footer with this
information, and maybe more (e.g. the fact that Tails is Free
Software). But our doc, web and design folks will likely have better
ideas :)